Well Child Visits
An annual Well Child Visit is a once-a-year opportunity to focus on your child’s individual preventive health needs with their pediatrician or primary care provider. These visits are important even if your child is in excellent health or if they’re already well-connected for chronic health issues. Your child may also be due for routine immunizations, which can protect your child against disease or illness.
What to expect
The goal of an annual Well Child Visit is to create an individualized plan to maintain your child’s health. Items addressed during this visit include:
- Vital signs, height and weight
- Health history update, including allergies
- Immunization update, including a seasonal flu shot
- Behavior health screenings
- Age appropriate preventative screenings, which may include hearing and vision screens
- Sports physical (upon request; please mention when making your child’s appointment)
Annual Well Child Visits are covered by most insurance plans. If you have additional concerns that are not included in the above list, we encourage you to schedule a separate clinic visit, as a discussion around additional concerns will be considered a separate visit by your insurance company and may require a co-pay.
If you have additional concerns that are timely or outside of what we’ll cover during a Well Child Visit, we would love to see you for a clinic visit. It’s important to create this appointment separate from a Well Child Visit so that we have the time to fully discuss your concern and treatment options. These concerns may include, but are not limited to:
- Asthma-related concerns and asthma prescription refills
- Acute visits. These are visits that address more-immediate concerns, such as a fever, rash or ear infection.
- Care for depression
- Breastfeeding support
- Medication management
- Referrals for pediatric rehabilitation
- Sports physical (can be included in your child’s Well Child Visit or a separate appointment)