Health Benefits of a Good Night’s Rest
Good Sleep is So Important
You probably already know that adults should get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. But do you know why? Here are three reasons you should strive to get regular, good shuteye.
1. Not getting enough sleep is hazardous to your health.
While it may be tempting to stay up watching your favorite TV show or scrolling through your newsfeed, not getting enough sleep can do a lot of damage to your health. Some studies even show that lack of sleep can shorten your lifespan. By not allowing your body the rest it needs, you increase your risk of developing serious medical conditions such as:
- Cardiovascular disease
2. Adequate sleep has a ton of benefits.
While you’re sleeping, your body has a chance to reset and heal. This can result in many benefits, including:
- Improved mental clarity and focus.
- Stronger immune system.
- Regulated appetite and weight.
- Reduced stress levels.
- Improved cardiovascular health.
- Stronger bones and muscles.
- Better quality of life.
3. Getting more sleep is a simple way to improve your health.
While it might take some time to adjust to a new schedule, what’s easier than falling asleep? Also, you can make small changes until you reach your goal. One way to do this is by changing your schedule 15 minutes at a time. For example, if you go to sleep at 11 pm and want to go to bed an hour earlier, start by going to bed at 10:45 pm. Then, work your way back until you’re falling asleep at 10 pm.
Here are some other practical tips on changing your sleep schedule:
- Try to go to sleep and wake up around the same time each day.
- Avoid caffeine in the late afternoon and evening.
- Avoid exercise later in the evening.
- Make sure your bedroom is dark, quiet, and cool.
- Avoid screens in the evening.
- Develop a relaxing bedtime routine.
Keeping You Healthy at St. Luke’s
If you’re having trouble sleeping or have any questions, talk to your primary care physician. To establish care at St. Luke’s, call 218.249.4000 or request an appointment.