Holiday Cranberry Trifle
Category: Patient Stories
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup orange liqueur or 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 (12 ounce) package of fresh cranberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-½ cups evaporated nonfat/skim milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 angel food cake cut in ½ inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, optional
- Prepare cranberries: combine ¾ cup sugar, orange juice, liqueur or orange extract in a medium saucepan; cook for about 3 minutes, until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Add cranberries; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer for about 8 minutes, until cranberries pop. Cover. Chill.
- Prepare cream: combine ½ cup sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Over medium heat, gradually add milk, stirring with whisk until blended; bring to boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. In bowl, gradually add half of the hot milk mixture to the beaten eggs, stirring constantly with whisk. Return milk/egg mixture to saucepan; cook over medium heat until thick, about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and salt. Refrigerate, cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Arrange half of the cake cubes in a 2-quart trifle dish or clear glass bowl. Spoon 1½ cups cranberry mixture over the top of the cake; top with 1½ cups custard mixture. Repeat layers. Garnish with orange zest.
Serves 18, ½ cup servings
Per serving: 206 calories, 45 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams protein
Share This Article: