Internships and Student Experience
2020 Summer Nurse Internship
Important Dates for the 2020 Summer Nurse Internship
- Application Available: After November 1, 2019
- Deadline for Application Submissions: Friday, December 13, 2019
- Interviews anticipated: January 2020
- Mandatory Orientation: 2 Days: June 1 & June 2, 2020 (0800-1630)
- Must be enrolled in a Baccalaureate Degree Nursing Program
- Must be between junior and senior years during the Summer of 2020
- Must have GPA of 2.75 or above
- Must be enrolled in a Summer Internship Nursing Course at a University or College within Minnesota for the duration of the 10-wk internship. This is a requirement of the Minnesota Nurse Practice Act. Out-of-state students will be required to register for a nursing internship course with a Minnesota school (a list of affiliated Minnesota schools is available).
- Must have a current BLS certification with a designation of either: “BLS Provider” or “Healthcare Provider,” from either the AHA or American Red Cross, or Military Training Network, prior to the start of the summer internship
Length of Program
This program requires your participation for the entire 10-week schedule, except for emergencies or illness. Any exceptions or special circumstances must be discussed during the interview process. The internship begins June 1, 2020 and ends August 7, 2020.
- Critical Care (ICU or Cardiac)
- Emergency Department
- Med-Surg (Float Pool, Gen Med, Gen Surg, Inpatient Rehab, Neuro, Oncology, or Ortho)
- Mental Health
Interns will be scheduled 48 hours per pay period (0.6 FTE) and will follow the schedule that their preceptor(s) works. Shifts will vary between day, evening, and nights, along with being scheduled 8 hour, 12 hour, or 8/12 hour combination shifts. Weekends are scheduled as every other based on your preceptor’s schedule.
- Internship application will be available after Friday, November 1, 2019
- Applications, essays, and transcripts are due by Friday, December 13, 2019
- Internship offers will be extended beginning the week of February 3, 2020 through February 17, 2020
- Students need to confirm internship acceptance by February 14, 2020
- Accepted interns need to submit a current BLS card & a physical document verifying enrollment into a Summer Nurse Internship Course to the Human Resources department no later than May 26, 2020
- Internship dates are June 1, 2020 – August 7, 2020 (10 weeks)
Applicants must complete & submit ALL of the following for consideration:
- A completed online St. Luke’s job application (Student Intern- Nursing)
- A completed 2020 Nurse Summer Internship Essay Form
- Current transcript (non-official)
Forward completed forms to:
Angela Pomeroy BSN, RN ONC
Coordinator of Nursing Education
Intern Fact Sheet
- See the intern Fact Sheet for important dates and additional program information
For additional questions, please contact Angela Pomeroy:
Phone: (218) 249-6356
*Due to overwhelming demand, we are currently unable to accept requests for job shadowing without a confirmed preceptor or a sponsor.
St. Luke's is proud to offer students opportunities to learn about careers in the health care environment. Student requests are coordinated through St. Luke's Education Department, and students must be covered by an affiliation agreement with their college/university.
Placements are not guaranteed. Please allow a minimum of four weeks to process your request. Job shadowing experiences are observation-only and typically last from four to eight hours.
For questions or more information, contact Dena Cyr, Education Department:
- Dena Cyr, Education Department, St. Luke's, 915 East First Street, Duluth, MN 55805.