Internships and Student Experience
To protect you and our community from getting and spreading COVID-19, St. Luke’s and the CDC are aggressively responding to slow the transmission of COVID-19 by minimizing social interactions and suspending student experiences and large gatherings.
2021 Summer Nurse Internship
Important Dates for the 2021 Summer Nurse Internship
- Application Available: After Monday November 2, 2020
- Deadline for Application Submissions: Friday, December 11, 2020
- Interviews anticipated: January 2021
- Mandatory Orientation: 2 Days: June 7 & June 8, 2021 (0800-1630)
- Must be enrolled in a Baccalaureate Degree Nursing Program
- Must be between junior and senior years during the Summer of 2021
- Must have GPA of 2.75 or above
- Must be enrolled in a Summer Internship Nursing Course at a University or College within Minnesota for the duration of the 10-wk internship. This is a requirement of the Minnesota Nurse Practice Act. Out-of-state students will be required to register for a nursing internship course with a Minnesota school (a list of affiliated Minnesota schools is available).
- Must have a current BLS certification with a designation of either: “BLS Provider” or “Healthcare Provider,” from either the AHA or American Red Cross, or Military Training Network, prior to the start of the summer internship
Length of Program
This program requires your participation for the entire 10-week schedule, except for emergencies or illness. Any exceptions or special circumstances must be discussed during the interview process. The internship begins June 7, 2021 and ends August 13, 2021.
- Critical Care (Cardiac, Critical Care Float Pool, or ICU)
- Emergency Department
- Med-Surg (Float Pool, Gen Med, Gen Surg, Inpatient Rehab, Neuro, Oncology, or Ortho)
- Mental Health
Interns will be scheduled 48 hours per pay period (0.6 FTE) and will follow the schedule that their preceptor(s) works. Shifts will vary between day, evening, and nights, along with being scheduled 8 hour, 12 hour, or 8/12 hour combination shifts. Weekends are scheduled as every other based on your preceptor’s schedule.
- Internship application will be available after Monday, November 2, 2020
- Applications, essays, and transcripts are due by Friday, December 11, 2020
- Internship offers will be extended beginning the week of February 1, 2021 through February 12, 2021
- Students need to confirm internship acceptance by February 14, 2020
- Accepted interns need to submit a current BLS card & a physical document verifying enrollment into a Summer Nurse Internship Course to the Human Resources department no later than May 28, 2021
- Internship dates are June 7, 2021 – August 13, 2021 (10 weeks)
Applicants must complete & submit ALL of the following by 12/11/20 for consideration:
- A completed online St. Luke’s job application (Student Intern- Nursing)
- A completed 2021 Nurse Summer Internship Essay Form
- Current transcript (non-official)
Forward completed forms to:
Angela Hraban BSN, RN ONC
Coordinator of Nursing Education
Intern Fact Sheet
- See the intern Fact Sheet for important dates and additional program information.
For additional questions, please contact Angela Hraban:
Phone: (218) 249-6356
*Due to overwhelming demand, we are currently unable to accept requests for job shadowing without a confirmed preceptor or a sponsor.
St. Luke's is proud to offer students opportunities to learn about careers in the health care environment. Student requests are coordinated through St. Luke's Education Department, and students must be covered by an affiliation agreement with their college/university.
Placements are not guaranteed. Please allow a minimum of four weeks to process your request. Job shadowing experiences are observation-only and typically last from four to eight hours.
For questions or more information, contact Dena Cyr, Education Department:
- Dena Cyr, Education Department, St. Luke's, 915 East First Street, Duluth, MN 55805.