St. Luke’s was the first hospital in the city of Duluth. St. Paul’s Episcopal Church founded it in 1881 in response to a typhoid epidemic that was ravaging the city. What began in a small room above a blacksmith’s shop has grown into a regional health care system. St. Luke’s is now a multi-specialty hospital in Duluth and 38 primary and specialty clinics throughout northeastern Minnesota, northwestern Wisconsin and the western Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
Ours is a history of firsts including:
- St. Luke’s was the first in the area to offer an alternative to traditional birthing rooms.
- St. Luke’s initiated the first coordinated trauma program in the region—a program that earned St. Luke’s the honor of being the region’s first federally designated Regional Trauma Center, as well as the first to be verified by the American College of Surgeons as a Level II Trauma Center.
St. Luke’s is committed to continue to lead health care in the region. And we will do it the way we always have—by putting the patient first.